• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many JTs Are Actualy Left?

D

DrunkenMonki

I feel like killing myself! Can't believe the RAF tears itself up over whether you did this course or that. End of the day, people are people. I know appos who are crap, appos who are good, AMM's the same, mech tech spec whatevers the same. I joined at a time where i was shoved through as an SACT. Cant make myself 15 years older! I'm sure the old supertechs thought that most of you lot were crap too. Human nature i suppose.

I was a Mech Tech, got a fitters course after 2 years and my tapes after 8. I distinctly remember turning up at a new squadron and my first few months as a newly promoted Cpl. There was a certain J/T, one of the so called ‘old sweat Mech’s’ who had done about 14 years. He took great delight in making comments, the usual “I’ve had more leave than the time you’ve been in” and made life particularly difficult for myself and anybody else who was seen to be doing better than him.

Having done 10 years I had enough and PVR’d, left in 2005 for pastures new. I now work as a Licensed Aircraft Engineer for a large airline earning twice the wage of Mr ‘old sweat’ J/T.

You will always get the likes of him, people who think they are better because they’ve been in longer than you. Being a Mech Tech or SAC(T) does not make you a bad Engineer. It’s easy to knock individuals when in reality the only thing at fault is the system. The constant whinging and bitter and twisted individuals were one of the many reasons I left the service I was once proud to be in.

Last edited:
T

Trembling Scumbag

To be fair, there are plenty of people who have been shafted, be it pay 2000 (which also affected a lot of SAC(t)s ) or a general shaftage through not kissing enough ass to get promoted. However, there must be a few junior magicians who just werent good enough to get promoted and are bitter when they see someone more capable, regardless of time served, getting promoted. Time promotions long dead, get a grip!!!!

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
jt's the life blood of the raf

jt's the life blood of the raf

6 left in my work!
a dying breed unfortunatly im not long for the world of the jt as im about to be a charlie,pappa,lima but it doesnt matter what ive got on my shoulder i will always be a jt at heart
as for the new amm system they do a 7 month course out for 2 years (in the real world) then back fo a 'further training' course !!!!! sound familiar ???
:PDT_Xtremez_31:

B

BigBadBubbs

right my first post here,

there are 6 JT's on my shift, i joined as a Mech Mech in 1998 and at the rate im going, could possibly be the last mech mech SAC(T) in the RAF. The reason i joined as a mech mech was becuase i was pushed towards it at the afco - or could it be i was thick in school....... anyway - i think in the past there was a definate difference between SAC's, JT's and Cpl's (apart from the slide) now there really isnt any diferentiaing (sp) between those that have experiance and those that dont, how is the RAF going to cope when all SAC(T) are being promoted after 2-3 years with hardly any technical experiance and/or decent leadership qualities and how do they expect them to have any respect from their subordinates?

i remeber one particular case of a fairy being posted into us after being promoted after 3 years of Off-Aircraft work - he did not have a clue and has for leadership - it was non existent.

well - my two penny worth

oh and btw - Hello!

C

Chuff Chart

Theres 5 where I work, but of that 5, 2 of us, including me (yay?) have been picked up. Ill miss being a JT *sigh*

S

Smakheed

i only managed to get signed on for 22 on the basis of an RAF admin cock-up. But since the form was signed it's a little late for them to go back on it :D

(No chance of them signing me on for being good - if they thought that they'd have bloody promoted me....)

If that's true, was it a mistake by them or you? They have no incentive to promote you now, even if your the greatest GEFrey in the world ever.

R

rottonapple

r

i remeber one particular case of a fairy being posted into us after being promoted after 3 years of Off-Aircraft work - he did not have a clue and has for leadership - it was non existent.

oh and btw - Hello!

Yoy know me then :PDT_Xtremez_31:

D

DrunkenMonki

right my first post here,

there are 6 JT's on my shift, i joined as a Mech Mech in 1998 and at the rate im going, could possibly be the last mech mech SAC(T) in the RAF. The reason i joined as a mech mech was becuase i was pushed towards it at the afco - or could it be i was thick in school....... anyway - i think in the past there was a definate difference between SAC's, JT's and Cpl's (apart from the slide) now there really isnt any diferentiaing (sp) between those that have experiance and those that dont, how is the RAF going to cope when all SAC(T) are being promoted after 2-3 years with hardly any technical experiance and/or decent leadership qualities and how do they expect them to have any respect from their subordinates?

oh and btw - Hello!

You need to wqork ont ur speeling my freind.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

PS welcome!

the last J/T ........

the last J/T ........

I'm sure the last J/T (A Mech A route) in the air force is going to be some lucky Bu66er that see's out his 22 years on the sunshine island west of beirut. In fact at the mo there i think there are at least 3 JT/'s parking planes for a living out here!!! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

fofojt

LAC
Just found out I am the last JT on my shift down here the RAF's least popular posting! Having seen at least 5 new CPL's of my trade get posted in after being a "Ring Pieced" SAC for 3 mins grips my shi*, yes everyone needs a bit of help when they get to a new unit/aircraft type but honestly these guys have been rubbish tradesmen and managers,they have no experience and no real idea how to treat someone who has JT or not!

I think all you non assim Ring Pieced SAC's better look over your shoulders because the RAF wants to prove its latest abortion of the Nu Fairforce and promote some AMM's sharpish because they will start going back to Cosford/Wales? soon!

RANT OVER.......

........and count to ten!

D

DrunkenMonki

Aw, diddums! Must feel bad to use your first post to rant about SAC's.
Best you sort out your assesments then huh? By least fav posting, you mean Marham? thats where i was when i got my Tapes. I'd feel sorry for you, but after rehashing the same arguement for years i just can't be bothered. Remuster to SAC T and catch up?

M

monobrow

Got to agree with DrunkenMonki on that one....

I've seen 4.5 yr Cpls who did deserve it, but by the same token, i've seen 6 yr Cpls who didn't, and as well as that I've seen 13 yr Cpls who are as much use as a chock.

There are J/T's out there by the same token, who have accepted that the RAF isn't fair (I did sign on the dotted line to be a mech tech, but got on the SAC(T) scheme), but there is a JT who wrote himself such a damning 6000 (becausethe raf isn't fair) that he wasn't a grade A, even though that was 2 years ago, and he'd be an ace Cpl

People who whinge and moan get f*ck all.

Last edited:
D

DrunkenMonki

If he was any good and played the game, he'd have got his Tapes. Got no time for people who say 'well im good at my job, that should be enough'. The RAF runs on people devoting time to secondary duties to keep clubs and other gubbins running. Knowing that you need a secondary duty to be promoted, then whingeing when you don't get picked up because you didn't just annoys me. You know the score, sort it out. If you don't, don't go blaming SACT's for you being a chopper. The year i got picked up, over 90% of promotions in my trade were from JT. As an SACT going to Cpl, i felt chuffed, and had very good assesments to go with it. No where on my 6000 did it say 'SACT - Promote to make us look good'.

Gotta be good at your job AND an all rounder too. Not being selected for 'bloke i'd most like to change an LRU', you are being selected to LEAD.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
DrunkenMonki;72967you are being selected to LEAD.[/quote said:
Most of the SAC(T)'s i've seen promoted recently couldn't LEAD themselves anywhere let alone LEAD others up the garden path. I've seen better trained AMM's !!

Crack on..............:PDT_Xtremez_09:

C

Chuffybum

How Many JTs Are Actualy Left?

If he was any good and played the game, he'd have got his Tapes. Got no time for people who say 'well im good at my job, that should be enough'. The RAF runs on people devoting time to secondary duties to keep clubs and other gubbins running. Knowing that you need a secondary duty to be promoted, then whingeing when you don't get picked up because you didn't just annoys me. You know the score, sort it out. If you don't, don't go blaming SACT's for you being a chopper. The year i got picked up, over 90% of promotions in my trade were from JT. As an SACT going to Cpl, i felt chuffed, and had very good assesments to go with it. No where on my 6000 did it say 'SACT - Promote to make us look good'.

Gotta be good at your job AND an all rounder too. Not being selected for 'bloke i'd most like to change an LRU', you are being selected to LEAD.

Oh well put DM, well put indeed. Your comments are totally acurate, to the point and well presented. Methinks the chap ned to get a grip on this one otherwise he's going to get well left behind. It's NOT just a matter of being good at your job it's everything else as well. What's more, it has always been like that, i isn't a new thing.

Back